8.12.2009

Two Days and Counting

This has been a wild week.  Sunday, our youth led worship and did an exceptional job.  One young man displayed some gifts that made me curious - could God be calling him to ministry?

Sunday afternoon was annual evaluation time.  A two hour meeting with the committee that evaluates me boosted my ego and ended with another hour of dreaming with a couple of committee members. 

Monday morning I was still on my high from the last several weeks.  I'm seeing the unseen potential of this church and it's got me excited.  Will people see it and commit to it, or will it fall flat?

Monday night was a bad night - if it could go wrong, it did - from being stuck in traffic that made me late to a district meeting, to being embarrassed in that meeting, to being stuck in traffic on the way home and a daughter who refused to sleep that night.  Truly this was a day that brought me back down to earth, but thank God for my wife who knows how to reinflate my self-esteem.

I hardly remember yesterday.  I was tired, everything was in a haze.  I did get to play golf, so the day wasn't a total loss.

Today, I find myself gearing up for this weekend.  I'm bringing a devotion to our senior adults tomorrow over lunch and trying to get a sermon and worship service put together for Sunday.  In two days though, I'm counting on God doing something huge! 

Friday night is the kickoff of our church's visioning retreat (or whatever you want to call it).  Right now, we have about 35 adults coming, which is less than I would have wanted, but God has done great things with fewer than 35 faithful people.  We will spend some time determining what we believe about God, people, and the Church - narrowing it down to those basic truths/values that we cannot ever compromise on. 

From there, we will look at the stated mission of the church - to make disciples of all nations for the transformation of the world - then on to some demographics of our congregation and the surrounding community.  The conversation that comes out of that will begin to define what God's vision is for our church.

Pray for us.  Pray that the conversation is abundant and God-directed.  Pray for discernment, humility, and fortitude.  Pray that I can keep going - at this point I'm pretty exhausted and my nerves aren't making rest any easier.

0 comments: