9.03.2008

Answered Prayers

I know it's been a little while since I posted last. I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably never be that pastor that posts every day. I admire those guys for several reasons - mainly because they can find the time to post every day, but also because they can find something worth posting about every day (in most cases). Today I have something worth writing about: answered prayer.

In my prayer time over the last several days I've begun to see God answer prayers begun months ago. I want to share them with you so you can celebrate with me. (Romans 12:15)

Charge Conference is coming up 35 days from now (but who's counting?). For those of you who haven't been a part of a United Methodist Church, this is our annual meeting of the congregation for officially approving the leadership for the next year, the pastor's salary, any candidates we have for ministry, and our lay speakers. That means that in the next 35 days, Mt. Bethel's Lay Leadership Committee will assemble and coordinate the list of 2009 leaders.

Now, you may remember that earlier this year, I posted about the vision I have for Mt. Bethel and that it all begins with leadership. You can read that post -->here<--. Basically, we need to unload the bus and reseat everybody with a new arrangement. Some of our past leadership has been non-edifying and in some cases a hindrance to ministry. In some areas, the leadership has been altogether ineffective and inadequate. Now, that's not the whole picture of Mt. Bethel's leadership - some areas of administration have been under superior, immaculate leadership.

My prayer since last October has been for God to place the right people into leadership. Last year, being my first year at this appointment, was not the most opportune time to shake up the leadership, hence my being here a second year. Now that we are into that second year, having heard God speak time and time again, it's time to do what needs to be done. Honestly, this task has been a little daunting for me and I've been no less than intimidated by some of the conversations I've had. I knew going in that some people wouldn't be happy with the changes that had to be made and some might actually be angry about them, but they still had to be done.

Well, I have completed each one of those conversations and haven't had the first bad encounter. Even the long-time leaders that I've asked to take a less-authoritative, more-developmental role have accepted those changes with grace. Praise God!

(I am aware, however, that some of those folks that are stepping aside will be watching me closely for mistakes, ready to point out that I'm too inexperienced to know better - they've done these things with other pastors prior to my arrival).

I'm just as excited about WHO God has called to these leadership positions. We have one prominent leader that will be taking a front-seat position next year that may be the best the United Methodist Church has ever seen. In conversation, his hopes for 2009 are the same that I've prayed over and written about in this blog. He and I are very much on the same wavelength and we should be able to make some large strides toward achieving the current vision of the church.

The two biggest things I'm excited about, he's excited about. The first is the establishment of what I'd call a core team. We will work to get our top 8-10 leaders involved in a group to study, pray, and talk together. My prayer is that this will be a prelude to establishing a church-wide shared vision and a sure way to establish unity, beginning with top leadership.

The second opportunity I see on the horizon has to do with the establishing of collective vision that is also a part of the vision I posted about several months ago. I began the process of establishing this vision last year, but quickly learned that there wasn't enough support in the leadership to work toward this collective vision. Not only is the support there now, but the leaders that will take place in January are insisting on it.

I go back to Jeremiah 1:17-19. This is where I hear what God has called me to do in the early stages of my appointment to Mt. Bethel. I have to admit that there have been times that I've wanted to give up, step aside, or accept things for they way they were, but I haven't given in to those feelings yet - and God has been sufficient because I counted on him being there.

If you're in the midst of facing a challenge and you know God has called you to face it, take these words to heart. Keep praying, keep working, and keep getting up when the world knocks you down - God will be faithful if you are.

In your prayer time this week, pray especially for these people and how they will be a blessing to Mt. Bethel: Bill, Beverly, Helen, Jason, Janice, and Bobby. You don't know them, but add them and Mt. Bethel to your prayer list.

1 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

Go, God!!
we'll continue praying ya'll up!