9.09.2008

Lesson To Pastors

For all the pastors out there that read my blog, here's a lesson for you from a colleague:

When things seem to be rolling in ministry, when you can see progress on the vision God has given you, and everybody's happy, be prepared. In addition, don't preach on unity in the church and brag to your spouse about how great things are and how optimistic you feel unless you're ready for what will be coming your way. Satan likes those moments most to try to derail you.

That's basically what's happened over the last two days. First, I preached on unity. I believe it was a timely message and I'm praying hard for the unity that Jesus prayed for after his last supper with his disciples. That evening, after the regular meetings and spending some time with some of my staff, I went home and told my wife how excited I was that things seemed to be coming together and how I could see the vision God has given me unfold in the midst of this church. I went to bed with a smile on my face, looking forward to what I thought would come next.

Then came Monday morning...

Sunday night, one of my leaders (who was present for the whole sermon on unity) decided to make some phone calls to individuals in order to create disunity. I know this because that leader managed to call the wrong person, who in turn left me a message about what was going on. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time, but I thought we were past this in this church.

It's been said that I don't care and I'm going to screw things up just like every other pastor that's come through the church. It's been said that "they'll" put up with me for a couple more years until I get moved and then "they" can fix things back to the way "they" want them. I find myself praying for this leader and for my patience. Fortunately, many of the people that have been exposed to this behavior recognize that I'm very rarely full of crap and my heart is in my work. God is going to win this battle for unity - of that I'm sure.

Monday got even better (facetiously) though...

Yesterday afternoon, another leader of mine resigned his position with less than four months to go. My heart breaks for him - he has immense amounts of issues to deal with in his family and he's been mercilessly drug into the aforementioned struggle against unity in the church. I've watched one of our young, up and coming leaders become jaded by a group within the church that will intentionally and carelessly use someone else to create that disunity.

I didn't post this yesterday for one simple reason - the barbarian in me was on full alert. What I wanted to write yesterday was not defined by my love for the offenders or would have, in any way, reflected grace.

As pastors, we walk a tightrope in ministry. We are called to love and to act out of grace, but even Christ got angry enough at one point to overturn some tables in the temple and even had to tell Peter to get out of his way after calling him Satan. What is the defining line, that when crossed, justifies us, as ministers, to go into a holy rage? At what point do we take the gloves off and begin telling people to either fall in line or find another church? It's ridiculous and uncalled for when people, especially those who are supposed to be setting the example, behave so immaturely and without any concern for the welfare of others.

Tuesday is here. It's 9am and I've already been to the hospital and the elementary school. Today is a new day and a new opportunity to adapt, overcome, and move forward - with or without those around us, but certainly and absolutely with God.

2 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

Romans 8:19-21 "The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. And the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God."

My "stepdad" Ed has dealt with this A LOT in his little church...I makes me angry, too, when the evil one shows up to deflate the good you've done...you will see the fruits of your labor because it is in love and truth and it's for the advancement of his church...that's why the evil one is so interested

continuing in prayer for you and more so the ones stirring the pot...

Mezzo Forte said...

Ahhhh, we should soooo sit down sometime and talk about this very subject...I've seen much in my life as a PK. There's an old saying that goes..."Christians are the only ones who shoot their wounded" It's sad but true...sometimes those "backbone members" (yeah right)are the very ones that destroy the church and its work or try to...it's all about PRIDE (the kind that goes before the fall and sends folks to hell...ya know the one?=0) but rest assured...He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. Just remember this...if "they" ain't talkin trash aboutcha...you ain't doin what ya oughta be =0)

Hang in there man!!!