1.20.2009

C'mon People!

I'm watching the inauguration online today.  CNN has it broadcast with people's messages from facebook alongside.  I'm also getting numerous emails from people on both sides of the aisle, politically speaking.  I have to say I'm disappointed.

Folks, the elections took place November 4th.  I'm tired of hearing people moan and complain about either Barack Obama taking office or complain about the people complaining about Bush.  Guess what...regardless of your beliefs or feelings about either man, Bush finishes his term today and Obama starts his. 

I'm an itenerant minister.  That meanst that every few years, I will move at the direction of the Bishop and his or her Cabinet.  In that regard, I can relate to some of what both Bush and Obama must be feeling today.  Starting off in a new place, in a new position is scary enough without people's silly, illogical frustrations getting in the way.

Many of you have spoken to one side or the other.  I've worked with many of you in local churches and I've depended on your openness and willingness to work together for the sake of the Gospel.  You gave me a chance, not because of my political stances, what my name or race is, or where I am from, but because I was willing to serve.  Because of that, I am able to do what I do.  It's when people are sore about the departure of the one who preceeded me or decide they don't like me before they know me that I am hindered.

Today, there is a transition of power, I believe, from one GREAT man to another GREAT man.  The best thing we can do as Americans is love the man leaving and support the one coming in.  Do that, just as you do for the pastor who leaves and the new one that arrives.  Don't let some politician or anyone else cause you to stoop to pettiness.

I'm certainly not going to count someone out of the fight before it ever begins.  I'm also not going to look down on a man, though lacking in eloquence, who has sacrificed much for the sake of leading this country through very difficult times. 

Before you say anything else about these men, ask yourself, "Is what I'm about to say helpful to the forward progress of this country?  Is it divisive or edifying?  Does it reflect my faith in Christ?"

I'm off my soap box.

0 comments: