7.21.2009

Campmeeting Season

Its summer. In the South, as a Methodist, that usually means one thing: Campmeeting.
Campmeeting is a tradition that started about 200 years ago when there weren't enough pastors to have one stationed at every church, or even at every circuit (partnered churches).  In the South, Campmeeting was the time that everyone would take a week off from their usual work and Christians, regardless of denomination, would gather at a traditional place, pitch tents (that look like rustic cabins) and stay for a week of fellowship and preaching.

The tradition continues today, only people have stopped taking their livestock with them and now enjoy electricity and indoor plumbing.  Last night, I went out to Shingleroof Campmeeting, here in McDonough.  Mt. Bethel was once one of the partner churches in the campmeeting - it owned one of the tents until a couple of decades ago. 

I've learned over the years that campmeeting means different things to different people.  For some, it's a chance to do something different for a week of the summer.  For others, it's a chance to catch up with some friends from the past and walk together down memory lane.  I'm amazed to see people advanced in years that remember days that their parents and grandparents brought them out to that sacred place and I watch them as they stand a little taller, smile a little more, and feel the life inside of them.  Others, like myself, think at first of the heat, the dust, and the bugs.  Once we get past that stage in our minds, we remember the preaching - hearing a voice that you aren't used to hearing (for better or worse).  We remember the stories and traditions that older generations have faithfully shared with us and passed down to us.  We envision a meeting place that so closely mirrors the earliest believers that we read about in Acts 2.  I've learned that campmeeting is a break from the rut of life that has the ability to recapture the attention of so many Christ followers, giving us a renewed sense of calling and vision.

Last night was impressive.  For the first time, I listened to a sermon delivered by George Mathison.  George is the brother of John Ed Mathison, who I've heard speak on several occasions and met personally.  Apparently their preaching gifts are shared.  George stood to speak without a note or even a Bible.  He memorized two fairly lengthy passages from Matthew and John and spoke straight from his heart.  I'm sure it was material that he has covered before, but still...

One of these days I'll figure out how to preach without a safety net (notes).  My notes now are at a minimum - basically a short outline to keep me on track and help me remember my transitions.

Later this week, I'll get my first shot at campmeeting preaching.  I'll return to Lawrenceville Campmeeting on Friday, where I was a worshipper for 6 summers and coordinator for 2 of those.  I'm preaching a morning service, which isn't quite as big as preaching in the evenings, but I'm also preaching Friday, at the end of the week, which is prime real estate as far as preaching goes.  I'm excited and I'm nervous.  Many of the people I'll see I haven't seen in two years.  Things have changed a lot for me in that time - I've grown a huge amount and my family has too.  I think I've found my own preaching style again in that time as well, so my sermon won't sound like the ones I delivered 2+ years ago.

I look forward to it though.  In ministry, Lawrenceville is probably where I would consider home.  Its where I cut my teeth in ministry, where I became a Rev., where I became a father.  Its where I was allowed to make my biggest mistakes and take my biggest gambles.  This year's campmeeting theme is "Coming Home" - one I'll talk about in my next post - how appropriate to have past ministers return to bring God's message to the people.

0 comments: