4.24.2008

Unusual Partnership

General Conference began yesterday in Fort Worth, Texas. This conference is the global legislative body of the United Methodist Church that convenes every four years.

When GC meets, I try to stay on top of what's going on, especially now as the pastor of a United Methodist Church. The media will cover certain topics that come up every four years (i.e. ordination/marriage of homosexuals, iteneracy of ministers), but most of those issues are peripheral and are blown out of proportion. So I do my best to keep up with the Methodist news outlets and watch some of the preceedings online so I can see for myself.

This morning, I watched the Episcopal Address (the address by the Council of Bishops) and as they served communion, they played videos of how the church had been active in the world over the last four years. One thing caught my attention and I'm not sure how I feel about it...

In the wake of the tsunami three years ago, UMCOR (the United Methodist Committee On Relief) was active in disaster relief and recovery in SE Asia, just as they are in the aftermath of any major disaster on the globe. I am a part of UMCOR in the area of domestic disaster relief and am trained to be an early responder to things like hurricanes, fires, and even terrorist attacks to help people get back on their feet and assess things for the teams that will come to aid later.

When UMCOR responded to the tsunami, they make an unusual partnership with Muslim Relief. I heard about this several months ago when I got an email forward that was raising concern about the distribution of the Quran alongside the Bible in the midst of United Methodist Relief work. I'm, of course, not in favor of distributing this material and would rather see people exposed only to Christian beliefs and values, rather than mudding the waters with another faith.

Here's my dilemma: UMCOR has been able to do much more for humanity by partnering with Muslim Relief - more people have found shelter, food, clothing, medicine, and peace by this partnership. However, I have to ask if we are giving any sort of creedence to Islamic faith by partnering with them? Are we watering down our own witnessing through our work together?

I'm really torn on this issue. The evangelical side of my theology tells me that we should go it alone and work twice as hard in these ministries to strengthen our witness to the world so that more people would come to know Christ. My liberative theology side tells me that we should be grateful for the assistance and celebrate the lives that are touched and improved - the people that are set free from the oppressive lifestyles that a disaster has landed them in.

What are your thoughts? How do you feel about this partnership? Do you even care?

7 comments:

Robin Lambright said...

My gut reaction to this is troubling. I agree with your initial thought. I do not think that the Bible and the Quran need to be handed out side by side.

This gives the individuals witnessing this action the idea that in fact there is an alternative option of whom and what you believe.

If that were the case then John 14: 6-7:
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." would in my opinion be irrelevant to us in our faith.

But then there is always that pesky flip side of helping our enemies,

RO 12:20 On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

I know as a whole the Muslims are a very peaceful people, I also suspect that a majority of the people in the region affected by the Tsunami are of the Muslim faith and would find great comfort in reading the Quran.

I know if my home was destroyed and my bible was lost I would welcome the opportunity to have one given to me by a relief organization. But you have to be very careful these days given the reality that we live in. We know first hand exactly how dangerous the radical beliefs that some of the Muslims hold are and what that impact can be.

But then I tend to be a very black and white kind person when I am thinking about these kinds of situations. I do see the gray areas, however it is easy for me to say this from my warm, well built house with my full pantry.

So my thoughts are that I am not sure how I feel about this partnership either. My gut tells me it’s a bad idea. I think UMCOR can work side by side with the Muslim Relief organizations but I am not so sure that being in partnership with them sends the appropriate message.

Skoots1moM said...

let me ponder a bit...

I still struggle with UMCOR having to go through all donations to ensure there are no "American flags" on anything that goes into the Middle East.

My first reaction is: "WWJD?"
and I feel we must be VEWY, VEWY, CAYFUL, as Elmer Fudd would say.

Skoots1moM said...

let me ponder a bit...

I still struggle with UMCOR having to go through all donations to ensure there are no "American flags" on anything that goes into the Middle East.

My first reaction is: "WWJD?"
and I feel we must be VEWY, VEWY, CAYFUL, as Elmer Fudd would say.

Mezzo Forte said...

I always go with my evangelical gut! As a PK, I've watched the United Methodist Church compromise itself in many respects and so often submit to the ways of the world. My dad is an Asbury grad from the 70's revival era- most conferences prefer NOT to have pastors from Asbury because they are too evangelical-how sad. The "big dawgs" as I call them, cause me great worry - I think there are far too many liberals in the methodist hierarchy - which will ultimately result in the split of the denomination as we know it today. It is on it's way...we'll have the evangelical UMC and the liberal UMC - it's really not a gray area for me but I do have a tendancy towards idealism. I agree with skoots1mom about being "cayful". I also agree with RL that it sends a mixed message. UMCOR should go it alone or partner with another Christian outreach/mission organization.

Mezzo Forte said...

Always listen to the evangelical voice - that's the one I trust. UMCOR should go it alone or if they wanna team up with someone...it should be a good ol bunch a Baptists =0)

UMC hierarchy has way too many liberals making decisions for us...it scares me and makes me realize that our denomination is heading for a BIG-TIME split.

Mezzo Forte said...

alex - I'm a moron - pick one of those post I wrote -probably the shorter one and delete or don't approve the other one or this one. I'm not used to seeing the "your blog comment will be posted upon approval" message. good thing I finally looked up or you'd have a gagillion post by me...sorry
Lesley Ratcliffe a.k.a Mezzo Forte

Skoots1moM said...

I think reading it 3 x's gave it wonderful intensity...kinda follows thru with the MEZZO FORTE theme...say wut, major loud, is that it?...hee hee! jus rattlin' ur chains, les!