4.13.2008

When I Look Into Your Eyes...

Erin and I started dating almost nine years ago - it's hard to believe it's been that long, but I continue to surprised and blessed by God through my wife. She hates brown-nosing and gets a little disgusted when other people gush about their wives, so if she asks, that's not what I'm doing here.

About the time we started dating, perhaps a little before, we went on a retreat with the Wesley Fellowship at LaGrange College. One of our last nights, we had a chance to share with and encourage each other. I would bet you that nobody remembers anything that was said that night, except for what I said to Erin.

"When I look in your eyes, I see Jesus."

For Erin's friends, it was a beautiful moment that kicked off our relationship and was the right thing for me to say. For mine, it's been a great opportunity to poke fun at my sensitivity. I have to admit, I wish I would have told her that in private, but it is what it is.

After nine years, I can still look into Erin's eyes and see Jesus (still not brown-nosing). In the midst of troubling days and stressful ministry, I find myself anchored by Erin. When I have difficulty finding Christ around me in life, all I need to do is spend some time with my wife and there he is. I don't think I realized this until recently, and Erin probably has no idea that she does that for me, but I am truly blessed with a wife that I can only say God has picked for me.

What does this have to do with being a Barbarian? Let me tell you...

Our work is hard, we face challenges and we face them head-on. Ministry is often hazardous and hurtful and there are plenty of days that we will be ready to hang it up. There are days that I've had enough of God's will and enough of ministry. Those are the days that I come home and I'm reminded of God's grace and mercy and love by time spent with my wife.

If we are to respond to God's call on our lives as barbarians, we will need our anchoring point - our place to go when it's hard to find Jesus in life. Too many ministers and Christian leaders get used up too soon because they don't have that source. Too many call it quits because the world has pushed against them and they can't figure out where God is holding them up when they are ready to collapse.

Where do you look that you can always find Jesus?

(still not brown-nosing)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great husband.

Praying for you today, Alex. God is good.

Skoots1moM said...

You are both so blessed to have EACH OTHER...100% of each other...that is 100% giving and taking. May our Lord continue blessing you ABUNDANTLY, forever sustaining your "twinkling eyes" for one another and MAKING YOUR PATHS STRAIGHT...even though, they will be narrow at times.

love you all!
SK

1 Corinthians 9:23
I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.