5.05.2008

Leading the Horse to Water

I think that's sometimes the best way to sum up my calling as a minister: I'm in the business of leading the horse to the water and praying that it will drink.

Now, I'm not calling anybody in my church a horse (though there are a couple I'm not certain about), but this is basically what I do. I've been in my current appointment for a little over 10 months, for those keeping score at home. God really began imparting a vision to me for Mt. Bethel once I knew I was coming here and solidified that for me around the middle of October last year. I have written down what I believe the future of this church to be, at least in God's design.

In the last week, I've had several conversations with people about the future of this church and where we are headed. I've talked to members about the effectiveness of the ministries of Mt. Bethel and some people have come to me to talk about my effectiveness. Granted, I recognize that there will always be someone telling me, as a pastor, that I'm not being effective because I'm not doing or being what they expect, for better or worse.

I have noticed that I'm not seeing the fruits I was hoping to be seeing by this point. I've preached, and visited, and supported old things while trying new things. I'm finding myself fatigued by the fact that after 10 months I'm finding very few people on board or excited about anything. I'm learning some things though...

I may be missing the mark on a few things. I may not be putting the right pieces together for some people. But I'm beginning to recognize that the problem may be systemic. I don't believe it's only Mt. Bethel either.

What do you think happens in a church lacking accountability and the freedom to share what God may be saying to an individual? In each church I've served or been a part of, I could identify for you a person or group of persons who "ran things." I can give you the names of the people who would substitute their desires for the vision of the pastor and church leadership and would do what it took to keep things from happening any other way. (I'm trying to say enough without saying too much)

I can tell you stories of times that a person caused non-sensible trouble for the pastor and it was allowed to go on, despite the fact that a simple "shut-up" or solid reproof could have ended the distraction. I've seen too many Christians with good hearts that stood by and allowed others to destroy the will of God in a church because they were unwilling to keep others in check.

I think I'm there. I'm tired of people telling me that they agree with me, but that they won't say that publicly. Are we going to play church or are we going to be the Church?

To all 4 laypeople who read this blog and will read this far down, take these words to heart: You are the best asset your pastor and church leaders have. Your voice is more powerful in many circumstances than ours is and it's certainly more free to say sometimes what needs to be said. You want to support your pastor? Don't send him or her a birthday card or keep them tied up on the phone all the time - be there to back them up, to run interference for the flak they'll catch otherwise, be outspoken in support of them, even in the face of potential persecution. If a pastor has no one to get behind them, then all they can do is lead the horse to the water time and time again, hoping that it will take that first sip and realize just how fulfilling and refreshing it is, until it returns time and time again to get it's own drink.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Yup. Well said.

Robin Lambright said...

I will be praying for you and all the members of your flock, specifically for that strong circle of support and encouragement to surround you in all your pastoral decisions. I can in a very small way sympathize with your frustration, my efforts to grow the prayer ministry over these past three years have felt like a lot longer. It seems that I have lot of impute on what needs to happen but very little if any support in actually making it happen. I will also confess that at times (like right now!) it seems just easier to throw in the towel and give up, since no one else seems to care either, it is like being between a rock and a hard place. With that being said, I appreciate your words of advice, I will be more aware the next time I have an opportunity to speak the truth in love when I hear a negative comment or our old favorite “We’ve never done it that way before”

1CO 15:58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

Take Care
R

Anonymous said...

Good post, dude. Leadership is hard, whether its in a business corporation or a church position. But, don't get discouraged. If you've got a vision and a word from God, put it out there and follow it.

I remember a post from some time ago at another blog called church marketing sucks - yep that's really the name (don't know how I stumbled on that blog). Anyway, the post talked about what a church would be like if church leaders asked people to get on board with the program, or leave. Bottom line, according to the author, was that one church cannot be everything to everybody. I don't know how this really relates to your situation, but it came to my mind as I was reading your post. Reminded me that we've got to make our mind up to either get on the train,stay off it, and not stand in the tracks in the way regardless of the decision.

I liked your quote about playing church or being the church and that you need folks to support you openly. But, I would respectfully suggest that you consider having this discussion with your congregation out in the open one Sunday morning. The congregation needs to come together to function properly, as it is designed. As Paul wrote, the church is all one body, with many parts, and all parts are needed to move forward, to care for itself, and to take care of others.

Good luck. Keep running the race.

JB

Skoots1moM said...

Paul’s words are so wise..."human-ality" was evily busy even in “Young pastor, Timothy's" day...I'm sure he got comfort from Paul. May his words also be comforting and helpful to ”Young pastor,Alex”,i.e. paraphrased
“2Alex 2:13-16ish”:
“Alex, you keep sticking it out” so everyone God calls will get in on the salvation of Christ in all its glory. The sure thing: If “you” die with Him, you’ll live with Him; If you stick it out with Him, you’ll rule with Him; If you turn your back on Him, He'll turn His back on you; If you give up on Him, He does not give up—for there's no way He can be false to Himself.
Repeat these basic essentials over and over to “yourself” and God's people. …Concentrate on doing your best,Alex, for God--work you won't be ashamed of, laying out the truth plain and simple.”
Lifting u, Erin, Ben and "Fafe" up!
sk :)