5.14.2008

Vision (1 of 6)

In the fall, on my previous blog, I began to post about the vision that God has given my for Mt. Bethel. I'm not sure why I never finished the series of posts, but I've had several requests to finish it now. So, for the next week or so, I'll do my best to share it with you.

This is good timing for the church also. I will be meeting with my Staff-Parish Relations Committee next week - be praying for it now. It's a regular meeting, since the committee is supposed to meet a minimum of four times per year, but we'll be addressing some heavy subjects. I'll be sharing this vision with that group of leaders in writing. It's sort of a way to say that this is where I stand and this is what I believe and if you've pledged to support me as a pastor, this is what you are supporting.

Vision is important to any community. Biblical wisdom has something to say about it in Proverbs 29:18. I've read a lot on what vision is and how to create a shared vision for your church, but I have yet to find anywhere in scripture that God gave his vision to a committee...

What could that mean?

You see it throughout the Old Testament in particular that when God had something to say to a group or had plans to share with leaders, he always gives this vision to a single person (Moses, Elijah, Abraham, Noah) who then instills that vision in the people. This is the prophetic role of the pastor. No, I'm not saying that I've got the direct line to God, but if I am faithful as a minister, I will be the one that Christ will use.

In October, as I was praying over the leadership nominations process of the church, I had an unusual experience. God began to flood me with a vision for the next two years of my ministry here. I began scribbling on my little Black n' Red notebook as fast as I could and about a half-hour later, I put my pen down and just sat there, rather amazed by what had just occurred. Well, that weekend, I took my notes and began to type them up into something more organized and detailed since I know I don't have the best memory in the world (as my mother or my wife).

This is the start of what I wrote:

I believe the God's desire for Mt. Bethel in the next two years is to become a larger, younger congregation. By this, I mean that our reach should be farther and that we should be constantly bringing more people into relationship with Christ through their relationship with us (a.k.a. discipleship). I also believe that the congregation should become younger. This is not a discrimination against the older population, nor a selfish desire. The average age of active members at Mt. Bethel is in the range of 60-65, while the demographics of eastern Henry County indicate that the average age of residents, not including minors, is 41 years old. Our purpose is to grow under God's will in a way that correlates to the makeup of our community.

There are five primary goals that are essential for this vision. Number one is coming up next...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo, i blogrolled you! good stuff you've got here. keep up the good work at bethel. i'm curious to see comments from your post and how things happen over the next two years.