5.22.2008

Standing Strong

Some of you know that this has not been a very uplifting week and I'm grateful for your words of encouragement and your prayers.

Last night, I began reading Jeremiah. I hadn't really concentrated on the prophet in a while and Erin pointed out some things that seemed to be relatable to my situation. I decided to begin reading the book, beginning with the first chapter.

Jeremiah was called to be a barbarian for God. Here's why:

"...I will utter my judgments against [the cities of Judah], for all their wickedness in forsaking me; they have made offerings to other gods, and worshiped the works of their own hands. But you (Jeremiah), gird up your loins; stand up and tell them everything that I command you. Do not break down before them, or I will break you before them. And I for my part have made you today a fortified city, an iron pillar, and a bronze wall, against the whole land - against the kings of Judah, its princes, its priest, and the people of the land. They will fight against you; but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you says the Lord, to deliver you." (Jeremiah 1:16-19)

Wow.

Get ready for a fight and don't back down. I like what one version says, "Do not be afraid of them or I'll give you a reason to be afraid!" Don't mess with this God!

It's interesting that given the trials that Jeremiah did face, God continued to promise him that there was a bright future for him and the people of Judah (x).

What has God called you to stand up for? Are you backing down? I'm not.

2 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

Confident Expectation--
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

I have really heard God through Paula's site...thought you might want to look too!
http://hisways-isaiah558.blogspot.com/2008/05/confident-expectation.html

Skoots1moM said...

God has to right my direction quite often--I continue to tell myself I know what to do...ha ha ha...has lightning struck me yet?

There are days I literally have to turn off the voice in my head and do the opposite in order to be on the right side.

One of my favorite life verses is uttered out of my mouth quite often...

Jer. 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you--and tell you great and unsearchable things YOU DO NOT KNOW".
He has a way of getting to the point for each of us, doesn't He?